This is what happens when three single objects from my stash come together. :)
1. Cardboard inside of a handtowel roll
2. Kaisercraft oval house number plaque or round MDF base
3. Ceramic mushroom
I debated about using the wooden ones shown (top right) but decided against them, I also chose to use a large round base, rather than the small oval base shown in the first two photos.
You will also need a Hot Glue Gun, Aluminium Foil and a
500gram pack of Mont Marte Air Hardening Modelling Clay.
First I marked where I wanted the Ent and the Mushroom to sit on the base.
After hubby drilled the holes to insert the roll and ceramic mushroom, I used my glue gun to secure them in place.
I then wrapped the tube with crinkled aluminium foil, forming two branches for arms and adding a nose.
This gave the tube a rough surface for the modelling clay to adhere to.
Now it was time to add the clay. First I divided it into eight pieces, then softened one piece at a time by kneading it between my fingers, then I squished it until I had thin a sheet. I gradually added each piece in layers over the foil. For the eyebrows and moustache I rolled pieces into strips and added them where I wanted them to sit.
Once the Ent was all covered I began using my sculpting tools to smooth the surface making sure the eyebrows and moustache were firmly and attached before creating the bark like finish.
To give him eyesight and to and add some character, I used a couple of Blythe eye chips, but you could use beads or buttons.
When he's and dry I will paint him and add other plant material to complete a little setting for my fairies to be photographed.