Tuesday, May 07, 2019

A Stunner On Order

It's been a long, long time between BJD's and I almost had reached the point where I thought I wouldn't ever order another one. Then out of the blue I received an email from Liz Frost with a photo of this little lass. Her name is Willowmenia.


Isn't she just about the sweetest little girl you have ever seen? It was love at first sight for me, but then I have always had a soft spot for Liz's dolls. I already own three of her little ladies, Fifi, Mia and Lunette who have been named and dressed as Miss Muffet, Mary Quite Contrary and Little Bo Peep. 

I shall be ordering Willowmenia in chocolate resin as my other girls are in light tan and fair. She is 13" tall, my perfect size for BJD's and with the most beautifully formed hands that I adore.


Here she is in tan skin (left) and fair skin (right), and below in a gorgeous red wig that suits her so well. I think if I'd had the money, I would have ordered this version too (you all know my weakness for red haired little girls).


Willowmenia is on pre-order until the end of May, with a payment plan of 50% now, balance and shipping when ready for delivery, which will probably be around six months, so that leaves plenty of time to save. :)

Let me know what you think . . . does she steal your heart too?   CLICK HERE TO ORDER ONE NOW or to see more photos of these gorgeous dolls.
Big hugs,
X

Thursday, May 02, 2019

Tutorial: 1:6 Scale Table Lamp

Requirements:
3mm dowel (or a bamboo skewer)
Something to use as a base (I used an upside down large flower bead)
Beads (size of your choice with 3mm hole)
A cardboard toilet roll inner
Scrap-booking card (not paper)
Elastic bands (optional)
Flame-less tea light
Foam-core scrap
PVC glue
Trims (ribbon and/or braid)

I wanted to make some lamps to go either side of my kidney shaped dressing table. At first I tried using wire with some beads I had in my stash to create a lamp base, without a great deal of success I might add, they ended up leaning like the Tower of Pisa. So I changed my thinking and began with something a little more stable . . . some 3mm dowel which I had previously purchased from Riot Art.

Then I found some hard plastic flowers in my odds and ends box, which were off a set of earrings from the Op-Shop. They only had a small hole, so  I asked hubby to drill it larger to insert the dowel.


Now I needed beads with holes large enough to take the dowel, so I ordered fifty 6x8mm brass spacers and ten 14x10mm faceted glass rondelles online from the Australian based Over the Rainbow as I knew I would receive them quickly.

Prior to this, I had purchased a set of 6 flame-less tea lights (and batteries) from Ikea, one of which you can see in the above photo. I find these are handy to have for various projects, another of which I have already shown you when I made my fireplace.


To make the lamp shade, I used the toilet roll inner to wrap a 13.75 x 7cm piece of scrap-booking card the outside, glued the seam and held it in place with elastic bands until it tried.

Then I selected some pink all purpose craft ribbon to match the base and some gold Ric Rac which would pick up the gold spacers, to trim the shade top and bottom.


This is quite fiddly and I didn't want glue everywhere, so I tipped a small amount of glue into a small bowl and used a toothpick to spread the glue where it was required . . . no drips and no mess!

After assembling the beads on the dowel, I cut two small a round pieces of foam-core, the same size as the tea light (just trace around the light), glued them together and made a small hole in the centre. This becomes a platform to sit the tea light on.


You could use a single piece of thicker foam-core if you have it, but I only had a thin piece of scrap.


I also needed to shave a little off the circle to fit it securely in the lampshade, so I did this a tiny bit at a time, checking after each shave until it fitted perfectly.


After trimming the dowel with my side cutters, I gently eased the dowel with the foam-core platform attached inside the lampshade about 1cm from the bottom, making sure it was secure with glue. I then switched the tea light on before placing it onto the foam-core platform . . . and there you have a working lamp. You can take the tea light out to switch off the lamp when you don't want it shining.


Incidentally, my collection of vintage micro miniature perfume bottles turned out to perfect 1:6 scale and came in handy for this display . . . the round one is 3.5ml Karl Lagerfeld Chloe Au De Toilette and the square one is 1.5ml Chanel No5.


I hope you enjoyed this little tutorial, I certainly enjoyed making the lamps. :)
Have a great weekend everyone! 
Big hugs,
X