It all began with a piece of white corflute board (30.5cm wide x 42cm high) which has been sitting around in my studio since the year dot. I simply added an A4 print out of an open window with a view of the beach to set my scene. Of course you can adapt this easily . . . just look on line until you find a scene you prefer yourself.
I also found a length of 6mm dowel (it's amazing what I find hanging about in here) which hubby was kind enough to cut to 32.5cm, I will add a trim of some sort at each end to stop the curtains from coming off at a later date, like when I find something. :)
Searching in my stash I also found this pretty floral fabric to make a pair of curtains. It measured 25cm x the width. Beginning with the longest sides, I turned over 5mm, then a further 15mm, pressed with my iron and using my sewing machine, stitched along each of them. Then I turned over 5mm, then 35mm each of the short sides, pressed and stitched. (Normally I would have cut off the selvedge but I needed it for the length.) As these were to be the end I wanted the rod to pass through I made a casing by sewing 15mm down from each edge.
I put them on the rod, measured the length I needed, cut and hemmed them the same way as the heading. This left me with a small piece of fabric, which I made into a flounce to go in between the side curtains. By the time I stitched the head there wasn't a great deal of length left, so I added a row of lace.
I may need to add some weights to the bottom of the curtains to get them to sit perfectly, as I used quilting fabric which doesn't drape well over a short distance. If you decide to try this yourself, I would recommend you use a softer fabric such as Japanese lawn.
(to be continued)